#Stop5G In a mainstream media story in Milwaukee on June 3, 2019, Rep. Mike Kuglitsch submitted a statement that said the following organizations (FDA, FCC, NIH, WHO and American Cancer Society) have done their due diligence and that 5G technology is safe (“no known health effects”). Not true. In fact, there are no independent scientific studies proving that 5G is safe for humans or the environment. Here is our response. Nos. 1-5 were sent to the entire Wisconsin legislature on June 5, 2019.
1) The FDA ordered the National Institutes of Health which houses the U.S. National Toxicology Program to conduct a study on 2G and 3G cell phones. It was a premier 10-year $30 million study and the results were revealed in November 2018: CLEAR EVIDENCE of CANCER, DNA breakage and fetal effects.
2) The U.S. also partially funded a study by the Ramazzini Institute on cell tower radiation at exposures lower that our current FCC limits. The results showed cancer from cell towers. Those study results were also shared last year.
3) The FCC has no health experts on staff so cannot conduct due diligence on biological health effects of wireless technology. Current radiation exposure limits were set in the 1990s before we had Wi-Fi and cell towers everywhere. They were set by telecom industry engineers, not medical experts who understand human biology. Scientists, doctors, the American Academy of Pediatrics and members of Congress have asked the FCC to update radiation exposure guidelines (which only protect from burning of skin) not biological harm like cancer, DNA damage, reproductive harm, etc. to take into account children, pregnant women, the elderly and those with implanted medical devices. The U.S. Government Accountability Office also made the same request of the FCC in 2012. How can the FCC be allowed to ignore all of these requests?
Maybe because the FCC is run by former telecom reps and the head of the FCC is a former Verizon attorney. A Harvard report from 2015 describes the FCC as the most captured agency in D.C. Captured by the industry it should be regulating. https://ethics.harvard.edu/files/center-for-ethics/files/capturedagency_alster.pdf
Thousands of independent scientific studies prove harm from wireless radiation and exposure levels much lower than FCC guidelines.
4) The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) is a branch of the World Health Organization (WHO) and in 2011 classified RF radiation from wireless devices/technology as a Group 2B possible carcinogen, the same class as lead and other toxic chemicals. Again, that was eight years ago before the above two premier studies. More recently, longtime WHO adviser, Anthony B. Miller, M.D., and other experts, confirm radio-frequency (RF) radiation from any source now fully meets the WHO criteria to be classified as a “Group 1 carcinogenic to humans” agent and released recommendations to reassess as a “high priority” the cancer risks of radio-frequency (RF) radiation between 2020–2024. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0013935118303475?via%3Dihub
5) The American Cancer Society is a charity that does not rate well with Charity Watch and if you look at its board and donors you will see a heavy presence by the telecom industry. They also say that “more studies are needed.” And, if cell phones and wireless devices were perfectly safe, why are they offering safety tips on their website to limit exposure (use speakerphone, etc.)? From ACS website: “Cell phones and cell phone towers use RF radiation to transmit and receive signals. Some concerns have been raised that these signals might increase the risk of cancer, and research in this area continues.” Again, this is from the Big Tobacco playbook—creating doubt in Americans’ minds.
LIST OF REFERENCES and ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
- NIH/U.S. National Toxicology Program Study: https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/results/areas/cellphones/index.html and https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=40&v=EC47tT-BhiY
- Ramazzini Study Cell Towers Cause Cancer: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0013935118300367?via%3Dihub
- Government Accountability Office request to FCC: https://www.gao.gov/assets/600/592901.pdf
- Advisory Group of Scientists from around the world call for Re-Evaluation: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanonc/article/PIIS1470-2045(19)30246-3/fulltext
- Scientific Appeal to United Nations/WHO etc. Urgently Calling for Greater Health Protection from Electromagnetic Fields of Radiation: https://emfscientist.org/
- Bioinitiative Report 3,600 studies proving harm: https://bioinitiative.org/conclusions/
- FCC safety guidelines from the 1990s: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/wireless-devices-and-health-concerns and https://ehtrust.org/policy/fcc-safety-standards/
- IARC/WHO 2011 Classification: https://www.iarc.fr/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/pr208_E.pdf
- Dr. Anthony Miller/Health Experts recommendations for Group 1 carcinogenic to humans: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0013935118303475?via%3Dihub
- American Cancer Society creates doubt and follows the woefully outdated Federal government guidelines. If wireless technology is safe why do they suggest wireless safety tips? https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/radiation-exposure/cellular-phones.html
- Scientific and Policy Developments Electromagnetic Radiation Exposure from Wireless Technology: https://www.saferemr.com/
- Physicians For Safe Technology: https://mdsafetech.org/
- Environmental Health Trust compilation of scientific literature on small cells: https://ehtrust.org/scientific-research-on-5g-and-health/
- Members of U.S. Congress ask FCC for documentation of 5G Safety: https://ehtrust.org/letters-from-the-us-congress-to-the-fcc-asking-for-documentation-of-5g-safety/
- 5G Threatens Weather Forecasting: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/global-5g-wireless-networks-threaten-weather-forecasts/?redirect=1
- Appeal By Scientists to Halt 5G roll out: http://www.5gappeal.eu/the-5g-appeal/